It’s a Christmas miracle! Steve Vladeck joins us again! He helps us understand how the Contract with America and a thicket of federal law have resulted in people remaining in prison even though their sentences are based on laws that have been found unconstitutional. Happy Holidays!
This show’s links:
- Steve Vladeck’s faculty profile and writing
- Steve Vladeck, How an Obscure SCOTUS Procedure Can Solve AEDPA's Retroactivity Catch-22 (and a Growing Circuit Split)
- Teague v. Lane
- About the AEDPA
- Brown v. Allen (Justice Jackson in concurrence: “There is no doubt that if there were a super-Supreme Court, a substantial proportion of our reversals of state courts would also be reversed. We are not final because we are infallible, but we are infallible only because we are final.”)
- It was 100,000 cops on the beat, not 1 million. We regret the error. (1 million? Really?)
- About the Contract with America
- Tyler v. Cain
- Felker v. Turpin
- Johnson v. United States
- Steve Vladeck, The Johnson Retroactivity Circuit Split Plot Thickens…
- Steve Vladeck, Is the Solicitor General Playing a Shell Game With the Supreme Court Over Johnson Retroactivity?
- Steve’s (and others’) amicus brief in In re Butler on behalf of law professors